Tropical birds of New Guinea that thrive in lowland rainforest can be seen in the valley. Shining flycatcher (Myagra alecto), Sulphur crested cockatoo (Cacatua galerita), Pinon Imperial Pigion (Ducula pinon), Goliath Cockatoo (Probosciger aterrimus), Western crowned pigeon (Goura cristata), Blyth's hornbill (Rhyticeros plicatus) and Lesser birds of paradise (Paradisaea minora) are some of the many birds of New Guinea that visitors can watch while walking through the forest.
Hiking through the rainforest of Klasow valley is easy because the land is flat.
What you need to bring:
- Buy food such as instant noodle, biscuits, bread, canned fish, and some bottles of mineral waters from Sorong city that you can quickly prepare and consume.
- Water shoes or trekking shoes and long sleeve clothing that will protect you from insect bites when you sleep.
- Sleeping bags
- Insect repellent lotion. Apply it on your skin, and the clothes that cover your body, including areas over your neck, armpits, chest, crotch and ankle. This is very important to protect you from tiny insects that can go through your clothes and bite your skin.
- Bring binoculars or digital camera with super telephoto lens if you want to take pictures of the animals that live in the jungle.
- Extra batteries for your camera.
Itinerary of Rainforest Tour:
Transfer from Sorong city to Klasow valley. You will stay in a basecamp in the jungle. Birding can be done directly along a small river. Local guides will accompany you to have a night walk in the jungle to find glowing mushrooms or wallaby. Sometimes Papuan frogmouth calls near the camp. If local guides hear them they could call to the bird to come closer to the camp.
Early in the morning, after breakfast, you will leave your camp to walk deeper into the jungle to explore its biodiversity. Deer, porcupine, wild pigs and wallaby live in the jungle of the valley. At night, after dinner, local guide can accompany you to find cuscus possum that usually comes out at night to find food or to mate.
This is your last birding day, the easiest way to explore the forest is to walk around the forest through old logging tracks that are located near the village. Birds usually come to villagers' garden to find grains such as corn, peanuts and green beans. In the afternoon 4WD pick up truck will transfer you back to Sorong city.
On the average, for 3 days/ 2 nights hiking and bird or wildlife watching tour in Klasow valley the costs are described below:
- The costs include transportation by 4WD pick-up truck between Sorong and Klasow valley (return) which is 2 million rupiahs,
- Local guides 3 people (600 thousand rupiahs per day), and
- Contribution to land owners Rp. 50.000/ tourist/ day
Klasow valley is located in the west of Sorong city. Visitors need to rent a 4WD Pick-up truck to reach the valley. Nico Nauw - local guide from Sorong (cell phone: +6282399985681) can arrange your hiking and birdwatching trip to the valley.
You could also contact me if you want a more customized trips and different itinerary. Just send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. I will be happy to arrange your trip to Klasow valley and other parts of West Papua. written by Charles Roring.