Translate

Friday, March 29, 2013

Snorkeling in Abasi beach of Manokwari

by Charles Roring
Abasi beach is located just a 20-minute ride from Manokwari city. It is a nice place for various marine sports activities. People who like surfing can ride their boards there. But it also has got a long coral reef belt that is home to various species of fish and reefs. Two days ago, I received a package from Jakarta. There were two boxes in the package. One was a Canon G1X digital camera and the other was a WP-DC44 waterproof case. The next day (which was yesterday), I visited to Abasi beach to test the camera. I went snorkeling with three native boys.
It was around 5 p.m. when we went to the sea. I slipped my hand into the strap of the waterproof case so that it would not drift away. Then we swam over an underwater hill which was 3 meter below the sea surface. The hill was covered with various corals. I asked one of the boys to go down first and then I took a picture of him using the new Canon G1X camera. I took some more pictures of the reefs and the boys who looked happy to be taken their pictures of when staying underwater without any diving gear.
The quality of the photographs was very good even in low light condition. When I and the boys went snorkeling, the weather was cloudy. I recommend this camera to anybody who is thinking of buying a camera for underwater photography.
To go to Abasi, you need to fly from your country to Jakarta. Then, you need to take a domestic flight (served by such airlines as Express Air, Lion Air and Sriwijaya Air) to Manokwari city. We can meet you at the airport, arrange your accommodation in a guesthouse or beach hotel and provide guiding assistance in Manokwari. If you are interested in surfing, fishing or snorkeling at Abasi beach, please, contact Salo at her email: abasiklubsurfing@gmail.com. I am sure she will be glad to bring you there.

No comments: