|Tropical Rainforest in Mupi Gunung|
There, visitors will be able to see pristine rainforest which is the natural habitat of birds, mammals, insects, and reptiles. Most of the visitors who go trekking in the Arfak range stay for at least 3 days/2 nights to 4 days/ 3 nights. They watch paradise birds, western parotia, and cuscus possum and tree kangaroo.
There is a very small hamlet located deep inside the jungle of the range. Its name is Mupi Gunung. We need to walk up and down steep the slopes of the range through dense forest for full day to reach Mupi Gunung. From that base of trekking, we can explore the forest to see its wildlife. Tree kangaroo, cuscus possum, porcupine, lesser birds of paradise, wild pigs and deers live in the forest.
I highly recommend Mupi Gunung as your next destination for rainforest tour if you really want to see pristine rainforest ecosystem. You have to be physically fit and strong to do this tour.
Mupi Gunung is a forest area located in Arfak mountains. It is in the south of Manokwari city - the capital of West Papua province.
WARMARWAY - The Alternative Trekking and Wildlife Watching Destination
If you are looking for a nice place and more affordable location for rainforest tour, I will recommend Warmarway. It is located further south of Manokwari. Here, the rainforest is similar to Mupi Gunung.
In Warmarway, you can combine two activities as follows:
- Snorkeling over coral reef (if the sea is calm with good visibility). You may be able to see parrotfish, butterflyfish, moorish idol, damselfish, surgeonfish, various kinds of corals including table coral, leghorn corals and etc.
- Trekking in the jungle - In addition to watching paradise birds, you can also interesting plants such as terrestrial orchids, bamboos, birdwing butterflies, and etc.
- Take an international flight from your country to Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia.
- After that fly from Jakarta city to Manokwari. Airlines that fly to Manokwari are Garuda Indonesia, Sriwijaya, Express Air and Lion Air
- When you have arrived in Manokwari, call me (Charles Roring) or send text message to my cell phone (+6281332245180). I will arrange your trekking trip to Mupi Gunung or to Warmarway.
- Change your money to Indonesian Rupiahs when in Jakarta
- Bring watershoes or jungle boots if you want to go trekking in Arfak mountains
- You need insect repellent lotion
- Bring extra batteries and memories for your camera
- You need to do regular exercise for at least one or two months before taking this tour.
Also read: Trekking and Watching Tree Kangaroo