Translate

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Ornithoptera tithonus

Birdwing Butterfly Ornithoptera tithonus
Birds are not the only animals that attract my attention. When I guide tourists in the forest or at the beach, I like to take pictures of everything from beautiful lanscape to paradise birds and butterflies. Last week, I guided 3 French visitors in Arfak range. I saw several species of birdwing butterflies that were eating the nectar of flowers. Here is the picture of Ornithoptera tithonus that was feeding on the nectar of New Guinea impatient flowers. His wings were mostly decorated with black, green and yellow colours. For the female butterflies, their wings have got black, white and yellow colours. The best time to observe butterflies is during dry season, such as in September, October and November.
Snake in the forest of Arfak range
In addition to butterflies and birds, visitors may see other animals such as snakes, and cuscus possum, soa-soa lizards during their trip in Arfak range. I personally saw a snake two months ago when I went camping in lower montane forest of Arfak mountains. I did not know whether it was a venomous one or not. So, when I took a picture of the reptile, I kept a safe distance from it.
Arfak range has been a famous destination in Manokwari for birding and wildlife watching.

No comments: