Translate

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Birding in Minahasa peninsula

Minahasa regency in the province of North Sulawesi of Indonesia is a great destination for visitors who are interested in wildlife watching especially birdwatching and butterflywatching. 

birdwatching holiday to Indonesia
Birds in District Sonder of Minahasa
My favorite destination is Sonder town. It has become my main base for watching birds. The first forest that I choose is Tounelet forest. This is a small forest that is located on a slope behind Siloam Hospital. Birds such as Edible-nest Swiftlet, Grey-sided Flowerpecker, Yellow-sided Flowerpecker, Black-naped Oriole, Sahul Sunbird, Pale Blue Monarch, Sultan's Cuckoo Dove, Chestnut Munia, Little Egret, and Cattle Egret could be watched there. 
Sooty-headed Bulbul
Sooty-headed Bulbul
Here is the picture of Sooty-headed Bulbul that I saw in the highland of Minahasa yesterday. There were a lot of these birds in trees when I visited the new birding site. Because I was standing on a slope across from the trees. I could take near eye level pictures of the Sooty-headed Bulbul (Pycnonotus aurigaster).
The Province of North Sulawesi is a great destination for birding and wildlife watching, sightseeing. There are several famous places in the region such as Tambun, Ambang, Mount Mahawu, Temboan, and Tangkoko. From my short exploration of Minahasa regency, I found several new birding sites. I call them the Clove Garden, the Well, and the Key Point. There are still a lot of places that are potential for birding. I will visit them in the future too.
There are hundreds of species of birds that visitors could watch when they visit these new birding sites. Some of them include Sulawesi Scops Owl (Otus manadensis), Olive-backed Sunbird (Cinnyris jugularis), Yellow-billed Malkoha, (Phaenicophaeus calyorhynchus), Chestnut Munia (Lonchura atricapilla), Scaly-breasted Munia (Lonchura punctulata), and etc. The duration of the trip can be 7 day/ 6 nights covering both lowland, highland of Sulawesi. The birding tour can be combined with visits to villages and farmland sof local people so that visitors can see how Minahasan farmers live in their daily life.
If you are interested in birding in Minahasa and other places in North Sulawesi, and want me to organize your tour, please, contact me by email to: peace4wp@gmail.com or whatsapp +6281332245180.

Also read:


No comments: